Saturday, April 24, 2010

WEEK 7 | ERIKA KRUGER REFLECTION

In skimming through Erika's work, there is a smooth transition from brainstorming to her final design. This seen, for example, in the slide on the left to the final product. 

Reflecting on my own work, i logically seem to skip the step of experimentation and exploration, and instead jump to designing a plan, and try to fabricate it as accurately as possible. My approach to any project is clean-cut and linear, which is preventing any flexibility in my design. Perhaps it’s from my engineering background, as everything needs to be of scale and to be numerically exact.

I guess, as shaowen suggest, mistakes (for example, in my drawings) could tell more than a drawing that is articulated to precision. I need to free myself from all the engineering constraints and conventions that limits the creative exploration of space in an architectural sense. I need to think outside the box and break away from the norm and structured.

No comments:

Post a Comment